Kid Friendly Fried Rice
Updated: Jan 7
These beautiful vegetables all grow in our garden during autumn and winter. When we harvest our produce, this is one of the meals that we can cook with the children using ingredients from our gardens at Dragonfly's Early Learning.
To learn more about us and our programme, go to
or telephone 07 5471 6500 to ask questions or to arrange a walk through or a play date
Kid Friendly Fried Rice Ingredients
Orange - 1 carrot, peeled and diced finely
Red -1/2 red capsicum, diced Yellow - 1/2 yellow capsicum, diced
Yellow - 1/2 cup frozen corn Green - 1/2 cup frozen peas Blue/Indigo - 1 red onion, diced Violet - 6 rashers short cut bacon, diced
1 cup brown rice 2 teaspoons oil 2 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups cooked chicken, diced 2 tablespoons soy sauce
!/2 cup shallots chopped finely
1/2 cup parsley finely chopped
baby spinach if desired
Method 1 Cook the rice in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender or use a rice steamer 2. Drain, refresh under cold water and drain again. 3. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a wok over high heat.
4. Whisk eggs and then pour int heated oil
5. Cook as an omelette, turn, cook until firm.
6. Transfer to a plate and cut into thin strips. 7. Heat remaining teaspoon of oil in the wok over high heat
8. Add onion and bacon, stir fry for about 3 minutes until golden and starting to crisp. 9. Add capsicums and carrot and cook for 2 minutes
10. Add frozen peas and corn, stir-fry for another minute.
11. Add soy sauce, mix through
12. Then add rice, egg strips and chicken and cook until heated through.
13. Stir well and serve. Note If I know I am going to be cooking a fried rice-type dish, I try and cook the rice the night before or a couple of hours before and keep it in the fridge. The rice separates more easily and it makes for a speedier dinner.
You can use white rice eg Basmati, but brown rice is a better more healthy choice Don't forget to add your green....great antioxidants to add to your diet
Can be served on baby spinach...adds a just a little more green if desired. The heat from the rice is enough to wilt the spinach leaves