Golden Syrup Apple Dumplings
Updated: Aug 22
We often look for a quick desert to satisfy a yearning for something sweet . That isn't always as easy as we think. As a big fan of golden syrup, I am often tempted to give a golden syrup recipe a try. This pastry can be made in a few minutes and because it is cut into 8 pieces and rolled out individually, it is very easy to put together. These sweet apple dumplings are finished with a golden syrup sauce and are truly delicious. A good old style comfort food recipe that I would definitely make again and again
2 cup self-raising flour
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 egg lightly beaten
2 large granny smith apples peeled and quartered
1 tbs milk
1 teasp vanilla
1 tablesp cinnamon sugar
5 tbs golden syrup
21/2 cups water
1. Rub butter into flour.
2. Add caster sugar
3. Mix egg, vanilla and milk
4. Add to flour mix to form a dough.
5. Knead into a ball
6. Divide dough into eight pieces.
7. One at a time, roll out each piece and fold around each of the apple pieces to form a dumpling
8. Be sure that pastry folds are underneath
9. Place dumplings into a greased baking dish.
10. Leave 3-4cm around each dumpling. (They rise and spread when cooking)
11. Place all syrup ingredients into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
12. Pour syrup mix carefully over dumplings.
13. Sauce should be about half way up the dumpling...not covering
13. Sprinkle each dumpling with a little cinnamon sugar
14. Bake at 180C for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
15. Serve dumpling with sauce from cooking, vanilla ice-cream and cream or custard
Note: Try to choose sweet apples.
The dumplings rise quite a lot and the sauce thickens as they cook.
To learn more about us here at Dragonfly's Early Learning at Coolum Beach, please go to:
Or call us on 07 5471 6500 to arrange a tour of our beautiful Centre