Ghreyba ..... Moroccan Coconut Cookies
On a recent trip to Morocco, I was introduced to Ghreyba or Moroccan Coconut Cookies. These were available almost everywhere across Morocco, so there was lots of opportunity to enjoy them. These cookies are usually made with semolina but can be made with almond meal or walnut meal for those who prefer a gluten free option. These are bound to be a hit with your family and definitely worth a try. They are crispy on the outside and full of soft and delicious coconut in the centre. Give them a try!
Moroccan Coconut Cookies
Ingredients: 1 ½ cups dessicated unsweetened coconut
1/3 cup semolina (can use almond meal here)
½ cup icing sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
2 ½ tbsp. vegetable or coconut oil
1 large egg
A pinch of salt
½ tsp. lemon zest
1 teasp vanilla extract
Orange blossom water (optional)
Directions: 1. Preheat oven to 175C
2. Cover a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Combine the coconut, semolina, baking powder and salt in a bowl
4. Set aside.
5. Beat the egg with the icing sugar in a bowl till until light and fluffy.
6. Add the lemon zest and the oil.
7. Mix until well combined.
8. Gradually fold in the dry ingredients.
9. Cover the dough and let it rest for about 20 minutes.
10. Wet your hands with water or orange blossom water and roll the dough into small balls, approx 3cms in diameter
11. Roll in icing sugar, flatten slightly in your palm
12. Place on the prepared baking sheet, about 5 cms apart.
13. Repeat the process until all the dough has been shaped.
14. Bake for no more than 10-12 minutes in the preheated oven.
15. These cookies are so soft when hot, so let them cool down on the baking sheet.
16. When cookies are at room temperature, dust with icing sugar and transfer to a plate
17. Store in airtight container for up to one week.
Note: These cookies will really dry out if cooked for too long.
To Test: Touch the outside of a cookie. If the outside is slightly brown and feels crisp, they are cooked.
To earn more about Dragonfly's Early Learning go to:
Or call us on 07 5471 6500 to book a Centre Tour or simply to have any questions that you have answered.